For employees with insurable employment, EI is available for job loss, lay off, or reduced hours.
- Those who were employed in insurable employment
- Have lost their job through no fault of their own
- Have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
- Have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks
- Are ready, willing and capable of working each day
- Are actively looking for work (must keep a written record of employers contacted, including when they were contacted).
The basic rate for calculating EI benefits is 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum amount. As of January 1, 2020, the maximum insurable earnings amount is $573 per week or $54,200 per year.
The one-week waiting period for EI sickness benefits will be waived for new claimants who are quarantined so they can be paid for the first week of their claim. People claiming EI sickness benefits due to quarantine will not have to provide a medical certificate.
HOW TO APPLY